AQ Austria is a quality assurance agency that is recognized in Austria and internationally and operates in several countries. It is based on the values public responsibility for quality in higher education, Securing academic freedom, autonomy of higher education institutions and scientific integrity. It supports the higher education institutions in continuous quality enhancement and, thanks to their expertise, provides impulses for the further development of the higher education system. It also contributes to providing transparent information about the quality of higher education institutions in their service areas. The following principles apply to the activities of AQ Austria:
- AQ Austria is independent in its activities and free of instructions. Decisions in quality assurance procedures are made solely on quality grounds.
- The quality assurance procedures are based on international standards of good practice, in particular the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG).
- The quality standards of AQ Austria are suitable for covering different university profiles.
- Universities bear the primary responsibility for quality in all their areas of work, quality assurance and development.
- AQ Austria understands its quality assurance procedures as a supplement to internal quality assurance and development.
- The work of the Agency in general, the procedural rules and standards or criteria in particular, will be further developed in an experiential, continuous internal learning process in collaboration with universities and other stakeholders.